Topic: What is the best way to convert 2.4 tags to 2.3 (for iTunes)?

iTunes is widely reported to fail to use id3 version 2.4 tags properly but reported to work with version 2.3.

I have laboriously gone through with Picard to tag my files with 2.4 tags.

What is the safest and easiest way to downgrade them to 2.3 so that it will work with iTunes?

Many thanks!!

Re: What is the best way to convert 2.4 tags to 2.3 (for iTunes)?

Is it possible that Picard isn't creating "sync-safe" integers?
See this article for a discussion:
http://towtheblog.blogspot.com/2007/05/ … aglib.html
and here:
http://www.id3.org/id3v2.4.0-structure

And this link documents the struggles of iTunes and 2.4:
http://www.id3.org/iTunes

mbj wrote:

What is the safest and easiest way to downgrade them to 2.3 so that it will work with iTunes?

The obvious thing of dragging from the file browser into the unmatched files list (which then immediately match and shows as a match) and then trying to save does nothing.

I suppose this is not surprising since nothing about the tag data has changed, just the option of how to save the tags has changed.

You sort of want a "save anyway" command, I guess.  Comments?

It should do something, i.e save over the top, I believe. Maybe try ticking "clear existing tags" as well? How are you verifying that it has converted the tag from 2.4 to 2.3?

When you click save on a file, it will to something every time, even if it's not exactly visible. And Picard is writing ID3 tags according to the standard: ID3v2.3 without sync-safe frame sizes, ID2v2.4 with sync-safe frame sizes.

luks wrote:

When you click save on a file, it will to something every time, even if it's not exactly visible.

Since this was brought up, a ticket for marking files as "save pending". Icon to indicate the status would be great, possibly also a pending counter.

To answer the original question, just change the id3v2.3 as the tag format from picard options and choose the encoding you need. Then just load the music to picard and re-save. As luks said, eventhough it appears that picard doesn't do anything, it actually re-saves the files.

Whenever I re-save a lot of files, I usually alter the path to which the files are saved, so that I can monitor the moving process from windows explorer. As soon as all the files have been moved to their new location, they have also been saved and I can close picard. Then I'll just rename the folder so that my mediaplayer can find it again. It's a roundabout method to use, but it works and I don't have to guess when the saving is finished.

luks wrote:

When you click save on a file, it will do something every time, even if it's not exactly visible.

I must be doing something wrong then.  I'm using version 0.10 (fresh download).

I'm right-clicking on the file in the right-most pane.
Before the right-click, it has a green check mark.
After the right-click/Save it has a red circle with white bar in the middle (indicating failure?).

Checking the file times, nothing is modified.

Trying the suggestion to move tagged files to a different directory, nothing gets copied/moved.

Note that these files all have a perfect match to begin with.  The only change is the tag format option as described.

Am I missing something?

Thanks.

If you get the red error sign there is something going wrong. Maybe the files are not writable or locked by another program, or they were moved by another program while you were tagging them in Picard.

There should be some output in the log (Help -> View log) when you try to save the file. Can you post this output here?

outsidecontext wrote:

Maybe the files are not writable or locked by another program

Got it.  The test files were unwriteable.
But it was unexpected that the option to move the files obeyed the read-only permission on the source.  I guess that is why it is called "move" rather than "copy".

Many thanks for helping on this.

Why doesn't right-click/Details indicate the tag format version used in the file?