Topic: Want year song came out, not year song appeared in compilation CD

I tried Magic MP3 Tagger. It found all the songs from a compilation CD and assigned them the information, including the year. The problem is that the year it assigned was the year the CD came out, 1994, when in reality all the songs on that CD came out between 1950-1954. How can I get the correct year of release on the tag, besides manually looking it up?

Also, if a given song came out on a number of CD's, including a compilation CD as well as a CD from the original year. what would Magic MP3 use? How does it decide?

Sorry if some of these questions are blindingly obvious. I'm still just learning.

Thanks.

Re: Want year song came out, not year song appeared in compilation CD

With our current database schema, that is unfortunately not possible, as the tracks are /owned/ by the album they are in so inherit all the album's properties, i.e. the release date. In future we hope to have that ability to capture the fact a track is released in multiple places and trace back to the earliest release on a per-track basis, but it's not currently there.

I'm not sure how Magic MP3 decides which one to match; it presumably uses the current album name or file location to guess which album they're from?

Re: Want year song came out, not year song appeared in compilation CD

I was trying to write a client application to determin earlest release date,
unfortunatly from what I can tell the only way to access release dates appears to be from either individual track and/or album entries
not a search by track name ie:New+York+Mining+Disaster

http://musicbrainz.org/ws/1/track/?type … ase-events

thus to find the earliest release date for said track appears to require atleast 20 requests to database to get the release date for each album it was ever on,

surrly the server devs could implyment an option to include dates on track search by name results! or atleast help with the code to complete the Nec requests to retrive all album release dates

thanks