Topic: Blank, empty or "cut off" tags in Windows, WMP or other media players
If after tagging your files with Picard you observe
- blank tags for basic fields such as artist, title, album
- or, tags for basic fields which are "cropped" or "cut off" after 30 characters
This is potentially because the software you are using does not support ID3 v2.4 correctly, yet your Picard installation is set to tag with 2.4. You can change this in the options to use ID3 v2.3 which is more widely and reliably supported.
In the second case above, since the 2.4 tags are not supported, your application may fall back on any ID3 v1 tags also in the files, which have limitations on length.
Lots of current commonly used software still has issues with ID3 v2.4, including
- Windows Vista and Windows 7 Explorers
- Windows Media Player (up to 11 at least)
- iTunes (for embedded cover art in some versions, most other tags should be okay)