Topic: Lookup of clustered releases behaves badly -shows tracks, not releases

If I press lookup on clustered releases, the results page is a list of tracks, not of releases.
For example this search: http://musicbrainz.org/taglookup?tport= … &puid=
brings up only tracks.
If I remove the duration, it brings up releases, but doesn't find the right one: http://musicbrainz.org/taglookup?tport= … &puid=
Even if i remove the disc number: http://musicbrainz.org/taglookup?tport= … &puid= it doesn't find the right one.
But it gets even worse: If i take the release name from the release page and leave the colon out, it doesn't find the release.
Only with the exact spelling the server lists the right one on top. What's happening here?

Re: Lookup of clustered releases behaves badly -shows tracks, not releases

Plus, Picard seems unable to load album information atm. Anyone having the same experience?

Re: Lookup of clustered releases behaves badly -shows tracks, not releases

The colon issue is http://tickets.musicbrainz.org/browse/SEARCH-159 and will be fixed in the next Search Server release. It also applies for stuff like "(disc" and whatever, mostly to all punctuation.

4 (edited by soulsearchingsun 2011-12-22 12:21:54)

Re: Lookup of clustered releases behaves badly -shows tracks, not releases

And why then does it bring up tracks if a duration is given? This is most certainly a regression, but I can't find a ticket. It's impossible that no one noticed this yet.
edit: even with the exact release title match it's only the 11th entry, with the whole first site having a score of 100. Is this related to the colon issue? url

btw: The problem that Picard wasn't able to retrieve album information was related to coverart.py

Re: Lookup of clustered releases behaves badly -shows tracks, not releases

Yes, I noticed the duration issue: http://tickets.musicbrainz.org/browse/MBS-3554

Re: Lookup of clustered releases behaves badly -shows tracks, not releases

FWIW, it wasn't until late Nov that the taglookup pages actually worked properly at all for release searches - they were pretty confused beforehand.

Re: Lookup of clustered releases behaves badly -shows tracks, not releases

I'll try and open something else to suggest ways of improving tag-based release/cluster search at some point.

@voiceinsideyou: just looked at the ticket again. Is there a new ticket yet? It would greatly improve the quality of the results to have release duration search working. I often search for releases where 3-4 results with the same name and the same track count show up, but release duration can differ quite a lot (hidden tracks, different tracklisting). I need to compare the releases manually then. Should I open a ticket? In which project? Search, Picard, sth. else?

Re: Lookup of clustered releases behaves badly -shows tracks, not releases

No there's not. I've had next to no time to look at Picard or such stuff the last couple of months. Tag lookup was broken for months and months after NGS without many complaints, so I guess I wondered how frequently it was actually used - and whether worth investing much time into :/

Is your question genuinely about "tag lookup" via Picard or using advanced search in general to find stuff? My understanding is that tag lookup is intended to be just a simple window into advanced search for use by taggers and tagging end users; not really designed to handle all the complexity that one might like. Doing a proper "magic wand" Lookup in Picard is supposed to be a bit smarter.

To have release duration available, if it really is useful after all, would require SEARCH project changes. Number tracks, number discs etc are already in the search index, just not exposed for use in tag lookup, so these bits would require MBS and PICARD changes to support it.

Re: Lookup of clustered releases behaves badly -shows tracks, not releases

FWIW, I used to use lookup often, though not much since NGS (because of the issues with it not working very well).

You stumble onto 50 berserkers!