This sounds pretty cool! Maybe it takes a little space, but definitely more user friendly than now. The thing is, the feature was on the general (and my personal) wish list for such a long time, that I just wanted to implement it somehow. I'm not a very good UI designer, so I left that for others...
Completely agree with this approach - and not complaining. :-) this is how I visualised implementing the general feature for "control which tags are written to files" in general. What we have now doesn't give complete control, as Tantali's requirement notes. We should probably re-open specific JIRAs for these missing use cases. :)
hrglgrmpf wrote: Tantali wrote:
So, it is not possible to use the 'clear existing tags', but keep the original data for certain tags if no mb-data is available
e.g. if you want the genre-tag updated if available, but want the original genre-tag preserved if that data is not available.
The genre isn't an mb-tag... How are you getting the genre-tag? If it is with some plugin, maybe this should be handled by the plugin (don't overwrite the data if no data is available). I use a custom lyrics-plugin which works just fine this way (I have lyrics in the "preserve-tags").
Well, genre is a core Picard-supported tag, and indeed it's an mb-tag if you have "use folksoonomy tags as genre" or either of the last.fm or last.fm+ plugins enabled. None of these features override the data if there's none available though, so consistently with the rest of Picard's behaviour.
I think the root problem is that "clear existing tags" applies to anything; it doesn't allow you to say which ones to clear, and which ones to not clear - but then "preserve tags" prevents Picard from being able to update an existing tag.
So, say you want to
1) clean junk tags from your files. (say "comment", legacy MusicIP tags etc) --> So you enable "clear existing tags"
2) but you don't want it to delete your current genres --> So you add "genre" to your Picard 1.0 "preserve me" tags.
3) But you do want it to update genre from MB if MB has a genre (otherwise leave the existing tag)
I don't think there's a way to achieve this right now.
a) if you disable "clear existing tags", your genres will update when MB has behaviour as expected, but you can't delete crud entries from your files
b) if you remove genre from "preserve me tags" Picard will delete your genres where MB/last.fm/whatever has no data
In conclusion, I think you'd either
* need more fine grained control over "clear existing tags" and which tags to clear
* OR "preserve" would need two options "preserve if MB has no data" vs "preserve and dont overwrite" (current behaviour - the "I dont want Picard to touch my data" option)