Hello all! I am new here. Love the site.
I have spent the past month organizing 40,000+ songs. Extremely messed up tags, titles and folders. 1000s of duplicates and different formats. So I have done my time in learning what NOT to do. I have read everything on the MusicBrainz website and anything else I could find on the internet on how to rip and tag music. I have studied everyone's methods of keeping organized and I have finally decided on the following formats for myself:
\MUSIC\Deep Purple\ Smoke on the Water\01 Smoke on the Water.mp3
AlbumArtist\[Year] Album Disc#\Tract# Title.mp3
VARIOUS ARTIST ALBUM:
\MUSIC\VA\ Forest Gump Soundtrack Disc 1\1-01 Hound Dog - Elvis Presley.mp3
Year Album Disc#\Disc#-Tract# Title - TrackArtist.mp3
STANDARD & VARIOUS ARTIST SINGLES: (3000 individual songs organized into one folder)
\MUSIC\SINGLES\Deep Purple - Smoke on the Water.mp3
TrackArtist - Title.mp3
I know that I do NOT want "THE" in the Artist Folders/Titles. I also do not want all the strange characters or underscores, preferring to keep it neat and simple. And I would like to keep the Compilation CDs together, not have them go out and make 10 separate folders for each song. Still not sure how to use Media Monkey Gold for a player, but found it super complicated to use for duplicates and tagging. So, Picard takes the win on that, hands down for me. I used two Explorer windows to manually filter through all the duplicates.
The following script removes "THE". It tested perfect for me. I am using MB Picard V1. (I need to incorporate AlbumArtist in there, too!!)
$left($if2($rreplace(%artist%,\(^The\) \(.*\),\\2)),1)/$if2($rreplace(%artist%,\(^The\) \(.*\),\\2)) - $left(%date%,4) %album%/$rreplace(%artist%,\(^The\)\(.*\),\\2) - $num(%tracknumber%,2) %title%
But for the life of me, I do not know how to combine this script with the scripts to do the rest of what I am wanting to do. If someone could assist me with this, I would be forever grateful. My plan is to run the scripts, have Picard move, create and rename into another directory, which I have set under MUSIC\Newly Tagged. So that I can keep track of what has beentagged and what hasn't. Can Picard tag and rename WMA and M4a files, too? I am also unsure how to know if I should use ID3v2 2.4 or 2.3 ?
If you have any suggestions or opinions as to my approach, please share. I would like to do this once, and correctly. This is a wonderful, powerful product and I am so thankful for the people who are working so hard on this fabulous project. The world needs consistency and attention to details !! THANK YOU ALL!!
ps ... if you are really in for a challenge, I would love to create folders off of the SINGLES directory. ie 1940, 1950, 1960, 1970 etc ... to have the individual songs put into them based on OriginalYear. I couldn't decide whether to have the [Year] in the first position of the SINGLE song title, so they could be easily sorted via that method within the folder, or just sorted by the artist. If not, I will just do this manually. Again, thank you so very much for any and all assistance and suggestions!!